Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Lake Opouahi

The other week my friend and I and our kids went on a trip up North of Napier towards Wairoa to a reserve at Lake Opouahi. There was a gorgeous reserve called "kiwi creche" which has been fenced off as a nature reserve for raising kiwis. I took over a hundred photos (thank goodness for digital cameras!) although only some of them have captured what my eyes actually saw. The nice easy track around the lake was a mossy green tangle of nature that was a joy to explore. We even took sketch pads with us to do a little art. Didn't really have enough time to relax and draw, but below is the sketch that I started there and finished at home.



The feeling of damp and beauty that I was looking for in this drawing is better felt from this beautiful scrap of prose I stumbled on thanks to a comment left behind by the author "Spot".

http://inkhaven.blogspot.com/2008/06/like-runaway-tattoo.html

I urge you to follow the link and experience it for yourself!


I will post a couple of the photos too to give you an idea of the little piece of artist's heaven that Lake Opouahi is!


The next image is a little different but it was a photo I took under a ledge of droplets of water that just begged for a little digital magic! Enjoy!!

1 comment:

Nancy Grönholm said...

It looks like one could stay there forever and still find something to draw! And the first photo so looks like a classic fairy tale scene, with the dark woods and the gentle hills. Lovely. As is your drawing - I'm quite certain I can smell the water and the damp earth and the colours, I'm pretty sure of it... I think...yes ;)