Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Pukeora photos (part 2)




















Margaret of "Alice and Camilla" commented on my last entry that she liked the special atmosphere that the Pukeora photos conveyed, and so I have posted a few more of them. Margaret, you are so right about the strange stillness that resonates in these old hospital buildings (can stillness resonate?!) I don't have many interior photos, unfortunately because I felt so selfconscious taking photos with lots of people around. But I have posted what I did take.
As you wander around inside the building there is a strange combination of large open rooms that feel too big and hallways with lots of little rooms that feel too small. A perfect place for accommodation. I have heard that some artists get together to have retreats there. They sleep in the little rooms, use the kitchen facilities to eat, and the larger rooms to spread out all their art and craft. Because they are in one building they can craft to any hour of the night that they want before they go to bed! Sounds like heaven!!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I come to be greeted, that have an one good dia and graces for your visit...
Hugs
Myrarte♥♥♥

Margaret said...

Thank you so much for the second set of pics! the outside really does match what's going on inside, if only this building could talk, quite some stories to tell I imagine. I do think silence can resonate, perhaps it's to do with the materials they used at the time and the architecture itself. I think that last pic says it all, I can hear the feet going down that hallway! BTW I left a comment last week, not sure what happened to it! Mx

Elizabeth Golden said...

Love these pictures! I like the idea of using the place as an art retreat. Something creative out of a place with so much pain and sickness. There are very few places in a hospital that have joy in them - maternity ward - is all that comes to mind. The hallways are wide to accommodate the gurneys, Did I mention I don't like hospitals, but love your photos that capture the spirit of them!

Mixed Media Martyr said...

Although hospitals can give you a bad feeling, this place feels different to me. I think it is because it is so old and has not been used in this way for so long. Instead of reminding me of injury, disease and death, it gave me very peaceful feelings. I am sure that some of that feeling came from where it is situated on the top of a hill looking out over beautiful countryside.