Sunday, October 12, 2014

Can I press you to a Gelli?

Having lots of fun experimenting with my Gelli plate.

Using the 'Gelli Plate Printing: Mixed-Media Monoprinting without a Press' book by Joan Bess, tried making my own printing plate with kids coloured foam sheets.

I used a wavy ruler to mark lines in various curves on the foam sheet then cut  them up using a blade. Some pieces I trimmed into short pieces and some I cut into small triangles.

Then using heavy cardboard as a backing plate I arranged them, fixing them with double-sided tape and glue for the tiny pieces.

To make it a bit more interesting I drew grooves into some strips with a pencil.

The Gelli plates were rolled with acrylic paints and the printing plates were pressed in to remove some areas of the paint. Prints were pulled from the Gelli as well as prints made with the paint on the printing plates.

This was very easy to do! The supplies were cheap kid's stationery foam, a wavy edged ruler, a blade, a pencil, double-sided tape and glue, and a piece of heavy cardboard.

So much fun! You should try it!

2 comments:

Win Dinn, Artist said...

Terrific foam plates, and gorgeous prints!

Kiwiquilter said...

Looks like you had a lot of fun, with cool results.